Group Work

So, now you are a little more up to date with some of my experiences, however a huge part of university work is focused on Group Work. Sure, I know this is important but I thought university would be more about what ME as an individual could academically achieve. I guess that's what the dreaded exams are for (I will talk more about them in another post).

For the majority of the group coursework issued I was able to pick my group members, others were decided upon by the module lecturers. Having to work in a group with people you don't know is super scary! You have to work alongside these people for 8-10 weeks, arrange meetings, discuss the coursework out with university along with completing other modules. You rely on these people to contribute ideas and complete their fair share of the workload, this does not always happen! I have worked in a group where I was left to complete the majority of the work, I should have said something at the time!. I guess in a way I didn't trust the other people to complete the work, if I wanted an A then I had to work extra hard!!
Too much if you ask me :-(
Luckily for me in 1st year I became friends with 2 fantastic girls, who I have done nearly all my group coursework with. We worked so well together communicating all the time, we got an A for all our group projects - WOOHOO! While working on assignments if, I don't agree with something or don't understand I will always ask questions! My group (friends) call me the inquisitive one ha, this doesn't bother me because if you don't ask questions then you won't learn!

Outside life can get in the way of group work, unwell kids or relatives, work, special occasions. These can all be overcome if every team member is willing to put the effort in, we all have these unavoidable situations in life. It's how you overcome them and communicate that counts, believe me there is no room or time for lazy group members! Some people go to university to pass the time or just scrape a pass, this is not me I want to achieve the best I can.

Sounds fun doesn't it :-)

xx,
Karen

0 comments:

Post a Comment