Dissertation Topic

In the summer months before starting honours year I had a huge decision to make, what did I want my dissertation to be based upon? We were informed that we would be working on our dissertations from September to April, so I had to choose a topic that would keep me interested. The problem with that was, I wasn’t really sure what I was actually interested in!!

I kept thinking about a module I had taken in 3rd year, Modeling for Information Systems. I did actually find it interesting, I started to think Information Systems could be a good choice. People always say that writing a dissertation is extremely stressful, but I was stressed out trying to pick the perfect topic. I also had the added stress of finding my own supervisor, yes that’s right the university didn’t assign me one! I was told to approach a member of staff with my dissertation topic and ask if they would be interested in supervising the project!

Eventually, I had decided on my topic and I knew who I wanted to act as my supervisor, now I had to ask if they would be interested. So a month before starting back I emailed and put forward the idea, hoping it would be accepted. I was overjoyed when I read the reply, the lecturer had agreed to be my supervisor and thought the topic was a great idea – instant relief!!

Finding my topic!!
It took me 3 months to decide upon my topic, I still didn’t have a title for my dissertation and wasn’t sure what areas to focus on. I had general ideas but nothing concrete, panic started to set in again!! Luckily, after meeting with my supervisor we were able to determine a specific area within Information Systems. The next stage was to find a company that would allow me to carry out my investigation, thankfully I had already asked my work who had agreed. Now I had to begin writing, I was terrified!!

My advice – decide upon a topic over the summer and email the lecturer you want as a supervisor. If you leave it to the last minute then they could already be full with other students, I was lucky mine wasn’t! Most importantly, try and base it on something that you are genuinely interested in!!
xx,
Karen
  

0 comments:

Post a Comment