Time or Money?

OK, let’s start to focus on the dreaded honours year! After a stressful 3 years of attending university 3 days and working 3 days, I had to make a choice. What was more important to me, time or money? Realistically if I reduced my working contract by a day it would give me a further day to study, but could I afford to lose a day’s wage each week?

After discussing it with Greg he encouraged me to focus on my studies and work 2 days a week, reassuring me we could manage our money. To be totally honest, I had thought of reducing my contracted days when I started 3rd year, but was too worried about my financial situation. I would be losing a significant amount of money each month, a worry that I really didn’t need to add to my existing stress!

A month before starting my honours year my contract was reduced, I had made the right decision even if it meant I had budget. I started to shop in Aldi, rather than my usual favourites Marks and Spencers and Sainsburys. Now shopping in Marks and Spencers is a treat for me, rather than a weekly occurrence. Again this is something I faced as a result of being a mature student, I didn’t have my parents to support me and pay my bills!
Budget shopping!
When I finished 3rd year the university lecturers informed all students honours year was no walk in the park, it would be the hardest year of all. In a way, this is what prompted me to decide what was more important to me time or money. Of course I had to choose time, money can buy you nice things and pay bills but it can't buy time!

 Relief and panic at the same time, more time to study for honours year but a lower income to live on!! Nevertheless I was ready for honours year, after all I had time on my side.
xx,
Karen

0 comments:

Post a Comment